Our Mission: We exist to make sure every child has the opportunity to succeed.
1 in 5 children in our city is living in poverty. That means 20% of kids aren’t getting what they need to succeed. Kids are coming through the doors of our schools without the essentials they need to be active and ready to learn.
We want to reduce barriers for students regardless of their personal or socio-economic circumstances. We believe that all children should have an equal opportunity to learn and participate. By providing support, we hope to open the door to a brighter future.
Through 3 main funding umbrellas (listed below), we know that are opening the doors to a brighter future by giving children the tools they need for success like nutritious food, school supplies, and the opportunity to take part in meaningful activities,.
Learn more about our Programs:
The gaps we fill are the basics not covered elsewhere.
When social services or the education system have been exhausted, we help with the most basic of things:
- healthy snack during the day
- a geometry kit and calculator
- a pair of glasses to read the whiteboard
- weather appropriate clothing to keep feet warm and dry
- the fee to attend a class field trip to visit a museum or participation in extracurricular activities.
Sometimes, families find themselves in precarious financial situations due to crisis:
The Education Foundation of Ottawa is here to step in and help when:
- parents/caregivers are unable to work due to illness/injury
- families experience a lack of food security
- an emergency arises need due to a critical family circumstance (fire, displacement)
We also act a resource, by:
- working alongside other community agencies to increase collective impact
- connecting families to other community services for support
- advocating for families/students in need (when possible)
School is for so much more than just learning. School should be a safe haven; a place of stability. It’s the place where children spend most of their day; it’s their connection to the larger community. The Education Foundation of Ottawa is here to ensure that every child’s critical needs are met by giving students the essentials they need to make anything possible.
Our organization operates in a non-discriminatory manner as set down by the Ontario Human Rights Code. For more information, please feel free to visit the Ontario Human Rights Commission website here.