OCDSB/OCENET International Study Abroad Bursary
Making a difference all over the World
Our students make a difference at home and around the World and we support that! Thanks to the Ottawa-Carleton Education Network, a bursary has been established to support and encourage students to engage in cultural exchange, international learning and the development of global competencies.
What kind of exchange qualifies for this bursary?
A number of experiences can qualify for these bursaries including:
- Student Study Abroad
- Cultural Exchanges (including remote communities in northern Canada)
- International School Trips
- Summer credit courses abroad (must be a recognized credit in Ontario)
NOTE: Family and personal travel are NOT eligible.
How it works
When a student has committed to extending their learning through an international experience but their family can’t afford to unlock the opportunity, they can reach out to the Education Foundation of Ottawa for support. We grant bursaries of $250 to $1,000 to assist you with your International Study Abroad opportunity.
Next Deadline for Applications
November 30, for travel between January 1 and June 30.
May 31, for travel between July 1 and December 31.
Please complete the application form linked here.
Please note: All information must be included and uploaded as outlined or the application will be sent back to the applicant to complete in full.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible to apply?
- Any OCDSB secondary student who meets the Minimum Eligibility Criteria outlined on the application.
- Is family and/or personal international travel eligible?
- No. Please refer to the Program section under Minimum Eligibility Criteria for eligible opportunities.
- What is the application process?
- There are several items to complete prior to final submission. A completed application form and all supporting documents outlined in Sections A-F on the application must be submitted by the stated deadline. If you have any questions about the process or documentation, please get in touch with email@example.com.
- When will I find out if I am awarded the bursary?
Successful applicants will be notified as follows:
- Applications are currently closed.
- Is $250 to $1000 enough to cover the cost of an international trip or study abroad opportunity?
- The cost and nature of international travel vary. In some cases, the bursary will cover 100% of the cost, while in others, it may only cover partial expenses. You can apply for this bursary in addition to any other funding opportunities presented to you.
- Do I have to repay the bursary?
- No, however, you will be expected to provide a short summary of your trip following your educational travel experience – see Section F on the application for details.
7. What if my trip gets cancelled?
- If your study abroad opportunity is cancelled, you will be asked to repay the amount you received in full to the Education Foundation of Ottawa. Please get in touch with Clarissa Arthur, Executive Director of the Education Foundation, to arrange repayment. Please note: you will be able to apply again for a future study abroad opportunity. .